LWP’s flagship development, Ellenbrook, was the incubator for many of the sustainability ideas that inform all the LWP communities and those of other developers. Some of LWP’s initiatives are still considered innovative today, while others have become industry-wide best practice.
Sustainability initiatives underpinning LWP developments include:
Creating a sense of place with a central focus
- Learning centres, crèches, playgroups and drop-in centres are constructed early in the development phase for the first residents who move in.
- A permanent information and sales centre is located in each development to create a central hub of activity.
- Houses and offices may be constructed and adapted to function as schools for the children of the first residents until numbers are sufficient to support the construction of a primary school.
- Public Art programs create a sense of identity.
- A Community Trust Fund for each community finances the appointment of a CommunityDevelopment Officer and provides seed funding for community groups and infrastructure from an early stage.